Thursday, May 20, 2010

Kabobs

Don't have a picture for this yet since I haven't exactly made it yet, but this is more of an idea than anything else.

I've been puzzled by something, how do you get a good smokey flavor when you don't want to cook on the grill?  It took me probably about 5 minutes to come up with a solution and I think this will work well.

Grab your cast iron (if you don't have one, how will you ever take care of the kitchen gremlins?) or roasting pan.  Now grab a hand full of those mesquite chips you find in the bbq section, soak them, then toss them into the pan.  Preheat the pan.  Now lay your kabobs on top such that the skewers are suspended over the chips.  Set the oven for 425 and cook until done.  I suspect this will work well, dunno yet, looking forward to trying.

For that matter though, why can't you use this method with other meat?  Grab one of those small grates, put it on top of the cast iron w/ mesquite chips, and roast meat on top of it.

Like I said, I haven't tried this yet.  It also might be prudent to use a pan you don't cook other things in just in case the wood burns to the pan or if you don't want the rest of what you make tasting like wood.

No comments:

Post a Comment